Webinar: The Ravaging Respiratory Infection: Fighting Influenza Using Mechanistic Models

From: Rebecca Baillie <rbaillie>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 17:02:43 +0000

The Ravaging Respiratory Infection: Fighting Influenza Using Mechanistic Mo=
dels
Amber M. Smith, PhD
Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Wednesday March 17, 2021, 11:00 am to 12:00 pm EDT
Register for free at https://www.rosaandco.com/webinars
Abstract:
Respiratory viruses, including influenza virus, cause a significant number =
of infections each year and are traditionally difficult to treat. This is i=
n part due to the short window where antivirals are efficacious. But, if we=
 can effectively forecast the tit-for-tat between the pathogen and the host=
, we may be able to identify new preventative and therapeutic regimens that=
 are more effective.
In this webinar, I will show how we can use an integrative model-experiment=
 exchange to establish the dynamical connections between virus spread in th=
e lung, control by host immune responses, lung damage inflicted throughout =
the infection, and how these relate to disease severity.
I will describe the mathematical models and analyses and how experiments ca=
n be designed to validate the model predictions and gain confidence in our =
ability to predict disease progression, potential complications, and thera=
peutic options and efficacy.