[NMusers] RE: nonmem question regarding condition number

From: Denney, William S. <William.S.Denney_at_pfizer.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:52:59 +0000

Hi Laureen,

Large condition numbers (typically interpreted as >1000) indicate that two =
or more parameters in the model are highly correlated in their covariance a=
nd that the model parameters are difficult to identify. Given your descrip=
tion below, I would not suggest using the 3-compartment model (even with it=
s 180 point reduction in OFV) because two of your parameters are so highly =
correlated that the condition number is reaching the level of computational=
 precision (2E16 is very large for a condition number). I'd also look at t=
he NONMEM output to see if the 3-compartment model had any errors around th=
e convergence.

Thanks,

Bill