[NMusers] RE: Using MCP-MOD in dose finding for Phase 3

From: Åstrand, Magnus <Magnus.Astrand_at_astrazeneca.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:47:59 +0000

Dear Nele, here are some thoughts:

The idea with the MCPmod is twofold,
a) provide a procedure for testing for a treatment effect and in that test =
incorporate all doses studies and still maintain control of type I error.
b) If significance in a) continue with framework for estimating the dose re=
sponse either by model selection or model averaging among the significant c=
andidate models.

I think you could use the principles of MCPmod even if you use a longitudin=
al model with a time course of your treatment effect.
You could for example use the same time profile for the treatment effect in=
 all doses, but estimate different magnitude for each dose. (indirect respo=
nse model with effect on kin, one level for each dose)
The estimated magnitudes would then replace the mean effect in each dose in=
 the standard MCPmod application.

The theory of MCPmod builds on the existence of a optimal contrast for a gi=
ven true effect profile across your set of doses.
Potentially there is a way to derive optimal tests but instead base that on=
 a assumed distribution of the exposure across all your doses included, com=
bined with a assumed true dose response curve.
An interesting thought that I actually may explore! (I think the output wou=
ld be a weight function w(exposure) so that you would get a test based on w=
(exposure)*observed_effect, sum across all your data.

There is no limit on how many candidate models you can use, so I don't see =
that as a problem.
Planning of your analysis across a wide range of potential DR functions to =
make sure you have good power whatever the true DR is recommended.
(And actually by selecting a smart set of candidate models can improve on t=
he power)
You can include several emax, but with different set of parameters, combine=
 that with other types of functions, sigmod emax.

On your last bullet, a good way around is to use model averaging instead of=
 model selection. If your model with more parameters only marginally improv=
es the fit, the weight for that model will not be so high.
My experience is that model averaging generally performs better than model =
selection. A big advantage is also if you end up with 2 equally good models=
, instead of presenting 2 results to your project, you combine them both in=
to one.

Kind regards

Magnus Åstrand
Senior Clinical Pharmacometrician, Ph.D.

AstraZeneca
Innovative Medicines | Quantitative Clinical Pharmacology
SE-431 83 Mölndal, Sweden
T: +46 (0)31 776 23 41
Mob: +46 (0)708 467 667
magnus.astrand_at_astrazeneca.com